A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Shibori parfait-Laura

I was working on some shibori fabric a couple of weeks ago as part of an on-line shibori workshop, and decided to parfait dye it. Here is a picture of a piece all stitched up (it was about 24" wide x 44" long). I put it in a large glass jar and poured Periwinkle dye over it.

And here it is all unstitched (one picture with flash, one without):

For the second layer, I put in another shibori piece that I stitched circles on. I put some fuchsia dye on the circles, then I poured on some Khaki colored dye onto the whole piece.

Here it is with the stitching all removed.

And here's a picture of the top layer, I just tied some glass globs in randomly on a small piece, and poured the rest of the fuchsia over it.

I think I used too much dye for all second and third layers. If I try this again, I'll use less--since I already had some mixed up, I added the soda ash/salt water mixture to it as Rosalita suggested in her directions. Just used a little too much of it.

2 comments:

  1. I like it and I'm betting it looks great in person. Sometimes cameras just can't capture the reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, Beth, especially if you have a long piece of fabric that looks different all along the whole length of it--hard to take a picture of all the color/design changes in it.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.