A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Thursday, September 8, 2011



Hello Everyone,

I have been entirely crazy with my business this Summer. I taught two classes at Schoodic Art Festival in Winter Harbor, Maine and had three major shows in August. (I received best in show at Bangor Sidewalk Art Festival, Bangor, Maine. I am still in shock.)

Judith DeMilo Brown asked if I might post some of the work I have been doing with my new love - Derwent Inktense Pencils. I am looking forward to Winter (first time in my life) so I can spend more time using them.

The first quilt I will show you is one called "Bamboo Moon". It started with the dark blue batik. I then cut a thin "o" shaped circle of freezer paper and ironed it to the batik . I then used decolourant to make the moon and the halo around it. The next process was an embroidery (machine) of sashiko bamboo. Finally I used my Inktense pencils and colored in the bamboo.






Next I would like to show you some of my fish done with intense pencils. The first piece is two Orange Striped Trigger Fish.



These are two Clown Triggerfish.



They are both the same size and are first finished with binding and all. Then sewn to black fabric and stretched over a pre-stretched canvas.

Lastly, I would like to show you one of my more recent uses of the pencils. This is called "Peaceful Flight".


This is a fairly large piece (24"x 44"). The lighter Japanese branch and leaves are done with inktense pencils. The darker leaves and branches were cut out of some fabric that I hand dyed and raw edged appliqued on. The cranes I embroidered on (again by machine not by hand). (This piece is in a private collection.)

A close-up look.

I hope you have enjoyed seeing what can be done with Inktense pencils and a little bit of my Summer's work. I have another show this weekend and then I will have a month to get ready for the next one. Whew!!

Hope all of you had a great summer. I look forward to seeing your projects on this blog.

Rosalita


3 comments:

  1. I have seen these quilts in person and up close and they are absolutely gorgeous. Rosalita, you have a real flare for detailed work which sets you work apart from others. Your love of the natural work really shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful. The bamboo moon especially. I wish there was a more detailed view of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL! Just beautiful! Can't wait to read more about your process! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.