Once at Beth's, we mixed the thickener to make the print paste. We added only half the thickening agent before we both agreed that it was way too thick already and we quit. Like Beth, I mixed my dyes powders with boiling water. I chose to mix dark concentrations because I figured I could always water them down. Next I mixed the dye concentrates with the print paste. Then we started with the experiments.
Experiment 1: Transfer printing of painted pictures.
I painted the leaves from the outlines I had printed before. Here is a picture of them painted on the paper.
Here is a picture of them on the polyester silk that Beth provided.
Lessons from Experiment 1: When comparing my results to Beth's, copy paper and unthickened dyes transferred much better than thickened dyes on art paper.
Experiment 2: Transfer printing using a mask.
I painted several sheets with stripes of dyes and then used some more of my pressed leaves as masks. Here are some of the results from that experiment.
Okay, at this point I was having tons of fun layering the prints. Because they are translucent and because I could print directly from the masks, I was just making multiple layers of the same masks/transfer papers in multiple ways. So Beth painted a motif and I started transferring the motif across a width of fabric. Here are pictures of the progress. (Sorry about the shine--wasn't there in person)
Overall Lessons Learned
1) By the time I finished playing today, I decided that I do have a few more experiments that I want to try. It is kinda fun.
2) There are effects you can get using the transperse dyes that you could not get from paints or direct computer printing on the fabric.
Overall, I am still on the fence for this technique. One of the pieces I made today will become a wall hanging. We'll see how the quilting goes to see if I am interested in working with polyester in the future. At this point I have used cotton/silk/linen fabric for so long that I am not sure why I would want to use polyester fabric and if I don't use polyester fabric then this technique is pointless.
I will let you know about the quilting and any future experiments.