A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.
Sunday, February 24, 2013
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Thanks for reading it and I'm happy to hear your comments.
Monday, February 18, 2013
Closeup of the scrunched square with free-motion quilting. I am calling this piece 'Tribute', in honor of my Mother, Step-Mother, Grandmothers and Great Grandma, all of whom were inspirational to me through their talents in various fiber arts. I hope this will inspire you to not only try the dyeing techniques I demonstrated here, but also to use the fabrics you create. One thing I have learned is that they look much better in projects than they do in my storage boxes! Thanks for reading and participating in the discussions here!
Saturday, February 16, 2013
Here is my set up--I used two small containers (I only show one in the picture.) in which to scrunch fabric and one big container covered with a grid. I placed two fabrics in the big container under the grid and placed the remaining fabrics on top of the grid. Then, I covered the fabrics with ice I purchased at the store and sprinkled the ice with powdered dyes. Here's the setup...
Friday, February 15, 2013
Recently I came across the phrase "Intuitive Design". Don't know what it means to anyone else but I chose to just take a piece and see where it lead me. The background is on a small piece of silk velvet dyed purple (or painted - I'm not sure as it was a gift). Then I just started grabbing things and auditioning them and moving them until I liked it. No pre-set plan or goal...just fun. Only thing I knew was that I wanted to play with some Extreme Texture!
I had done some of the 3-D polyester using the technique posted by Nienke in October
It was great and I loved the effect but just couldn't think of anything to do with my greenish-bronze polyester.
Then there were some very organically made beads in Beth Berman's posts on Embellishments.
(link: http://andthenwesetitonfire.blogspot.com/2013/01/bead-organization-and-other-elements.html )
I had some painted Tyvek hanging around, got out my heat gun and went to work.
Finally, I combined all these ingredients (and a few more) and came up with Sour Grapes
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Today happens to be her birthday. Happy Birthday Jane!
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
I used 2 plastic boxes . In the little one I puncture holes so I can optimal use the melting snow.This what I made whit the pieces.
In the bottom box a piece of fabric is placed and another box is put on the top. The bottom piece of fabric will be penetrated by the melting snow.
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Of course, I got beautiful snow-dyes.
But the real surprise was underneath. No pale coordinating fabrics here. I got some great stuff with light and dark areas. I think that some of these will benefit from further over-dyeing to really bring the colors together.
I also tried sprinkling some dye powder directly on top of the packed snow.
Monday, February 11, 2013
I keep them stored in the garage, and they were frozen when I brought them into the house, so I figured I was safe using them! Here are the folded pieces:
Here is one of the two pieces from the second batch