A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Putting color on fabric

I love color. I love bright colors. There is nothing I enjoy more than putting color on fabric.

Over the next four days I will show you 4 different ways I have applied color to fabric. Some are a twist on traditional methods and some occurred as an accident while I was doing something else.

The first method I'd like to show is using wax. Wax and dyes are my favorite tools. On this first piece I used wax on a silk screen to apply color to yardage.







The next is ordinary batik. The twist is I used thickened dyes and scraped them on with a credit card. This applies such a small skim coat of dye that you can actually color the opposite side in another color.




This is another piece but you can see what I mean.


The last technique I used was applying the hot wax with a brush. First I used a notched foam brush and second dollops of wax from a large paint brush. I did this one on a piece of luscious soft linen. Yum!


Again I used a credit card and colored both sides differently.




4 comments:

  1. You fabrics are great! I especially like the piece that is purple on one side and yellow on the other. I'm very interested in working with thickened dyes. I hope we'll see more details on this this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabric! Really like the idea of two sided printing in different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I ask more about the wax on the screen? So you put the wax on the silk screen and it acts like a resist and then you squeegee dye (thickened?) through it? Never thought about using wax on a silk screen before - way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one word you used pretty much sums up this whole post! YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.