A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Paint Glorious Paint 2...



 Paints Glorious Paint Part 2

 Part 1 was all about showing samples of mostly acrylic paints on Lutradur. And any that I have tried have worked so far.


I thought I would show you next was watercolours and some of the ways to add colour with paints.

Water colours are a great way to add colour when you want to add colours that are translucent, soft and show the fibers off. Please remember that I am not a painter. So I am using inexpensive water colours. Either the dry paint cake pallet from the craft store or the tubes in a set from the craft store are what I have used.
Below are some of the results of my experiments used the same paints but different weights of Lutradur from the C & T package. The picture shows the heavier weight with denser fibres. I have plans for these two “landscapes” to show you later…..
Heavier weight Lutradur

Lighter weight Lutradur


What interests me so much about using paint is that it is easy to use and clean up. I use a plastic table cloth to cover my surface paint away and let dry. I either use a folding table I own and leave it overnight to dry or if I am in the kitchen I have some old trays that I leave them on and move them to somewhere to dry. In her book Leslie says she often paints in her yard and lets it dry on the grass. At my house the wind would blow it away or my dog would try to fetch it. I might get some interesting paw effects on it.
                                                                                                                                           
To apply the paint Leslie commented that she usually uses a foam paint brush. My favorite ways are to spritz it on with a mister or sprayer nozzle. You can control the coverage by how much you spritz, how dilute your paint is and whether your Lutradur is wet or dry when you apply.
Spritzing over a stamped image

Spritzing on black 

Close up of Spritzing on Black. Notice the great highlighting of the fibres with the light application of the spritzing.


You can use a tooth brush to fleck it on for texture and dots.
You can use a myriads of different brushes.
You can smoosh with cling wrap, paper, or other fibers.
You can stipple.
You can use leftover paint to mop up.

You can use paint on stamps
You can use stencils.
Water colour through a stencil. 


One thing I want to try is to see if you can do sun prints with the Seta colour on the Lutradur.Does anyone know?  I will have to try that the next sunny day I am home.  It has been rainy weather here in Southern Ontario Canada this week.

Whats up next? Molding paste and Glass bead paste on Lutradur 

Jo 
thesewinggeek.blogspot.ca




2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jo - very good post and isn't Lutradur fun. The answer to your question is YES - Setacolor works, but it dries so fast on Lutradur the prints are very light. I painted indoors and then took my work out of doors with a plastic overlay to keep the warm air off until it was outside in sun.
    Bethany in Kingston ON

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bethany! The weather has been so bad here I am starting to think rain, rain go away...

    Thank you for joining in...

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.