A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Ugly duckling 1

When you dye your own fabric - even as an experienced dyer - you will not always love the fabric you created. Some pieces of fabric start their life as ugly ducklings, but with some help you can turn them into pretty swans. They just need some more attention :-). In the coming 3 blog posts I am going to show you what I did with some of them.
Here is a picture of how the fabric started out, a clamped shibori:


I accordeon folded it - sorry but I forgot to take a picture of this - and placed it on top of 2 other pieces of fabric in this glass jar. Added some ice cubes and burnt orange procion dye powder.


The color of the fabric improved, but it needed more. I used a piece of corrugated cardboard as a stamp. The piece of tape on the back made it easier to lift and reposition it. As paint I used Pebeo Setacolor transparent fuchsia and raw sienna.


After the stamping the fabric looked like this:


Much improved, don't you think? In two days I will show you another transformation.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I found your blog. I have a few ugly ducklings that were shibori dyed. They need some improvement. I'm looking forward to exploring your blog and be inspired. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.