A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

embroidered screen prints

Diane here, with more on deconstructed screen printing also known as breakdown printing. You can click on either of those Labels in the right hand column and read more Fire blog posts on the technique.
For this monochromatic print, I chose two colors of cotton thread close to the hue of the dye and did cross stitch border patterns as a member of the "Edges" Dutch group on Facebook.  Each week a different pattern was posted and most members were doing their bands or edges on linen at 20 crosses to the inch.  Not me!  I am not a counted-cross-stitch kind of gal. It was fun to see their projects and translate all the chatter but, after a while, I ran out of cloth, time and steam and literally fell off the edge.  Some of them were amused by the way I titled my piece. 


Knowing what to do with your output is often a stumbling block for getting started. "What's that going to be?" is a FAQ when the artist is in the throes of a play session. I usually get inspiration from my prints and that leads me to take up the needle and thread and begin to embroider. Here is one "finished" embroidered print, with a photo of the print before stitching and a detail of the stitching. Each of the 8 characters were stitched on one of the eight repeats from the screen.  I tried not to make them so loveable (!) but I just couldn't help myself.  They just looked like strange little birds - some with their backs turned!



This was stitched while I was following the blog written by Sharon Bloggins and the challenge was called TAST - Take a Stitch Tuesday.  About six months of stitch experiments - one a week.

The photo below is an art quilt designed around a deconstructed screen print that only gave me one good print.
Creating original fabrics can lead you in so many directions, why wouldn't you try it?

Diane - yarngoddess

9 comments:

  1. It's so good to see your Randjes and TAST stitches again, it was fun to watch them grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annet,
    So good to see you here! Always a good time stitching with friends even though we chat from either side of the world.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane,
    That last piece is really getting my thoughts moving!!
    I think you were actually blessed by having only one print turn out. Or you would maybe have not gotten as creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way the stitch matchesfollows the print

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luann,
    Sometimes that's just the up-against-the-wall that makes you think differently. Thanks for stopping by!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Els. The print definitely inspires the stitching.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is wonderful to see what you did with the printed pieces, and WOW the fern print is incredibly exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the leaf print and your stitching. the colors are great! The birds made me smile.... could you call them a giggle? a gaggle? Enjoying reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to see the stitching. I remember you using this type of fabric effect in your TAST work

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.