A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, October 12, 2015

To Art Quilting and Beyond - Week 2/Part 1

Wow what a great weekend! Fall has seriously begun here in the upper mid-west and a long drive on Saturday was absolutely gorgeous. Very inspiring!

After doing a bit of editing of the "bling" chosen for me by my granddaughters (bless their little hearts) I got down to laying out and auditioning layout and bits. Here is the photo of where I ended up after much moving around and adjusting and taking bits off of jewelry so I could use them.


As stated earlier, the title of the first piece is "Summer Garden". With these colors I was obviously drawn to autumn and after this weekend I am even more inspired than ever by the beauty of the changing landscape!

The kind of orange on the far left background is the back side of a leafy fabric. I LOVED the front side but it was way too saturated and overpowered everything else. The connecting neutral fabric with the writing on it
I placed on the far right. I put another neutral in the center background because I don't have a lot of the original one and I also wanted a piece with some subtle pattern in it.

I had the two metal "frame" thingies and they looked very plain and boring all alone so I put some of the animal prints behind each one.

So, here we go! Now to start stitching!

OH and this one already has a title:  "Autumn Migration"  Are you sensing a theme here? I'll get into more of the details this week.

And don't forget! Later this week I'll be adding to this week's information and heading off on a whole other pathway to taking art quilting beyond the box....or....over the box you might say.  Got your interest?  I'll explain all later this week!

4 comments:

  1. So much fun. I love this one so far! Looking forward to see the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann! Stitching begins tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You only have to wait until Thursday, Elle!!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.