A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Beginning the Journey

I get my garments out of my closet or from the local Goodwill. I only choose cotton or linen garments.  Linen is really better since it tends to thin and disintegrate more evenly than cotton.   Here are some garments waiting their turn into the compost pile.  I  know they need to be ironed but I am not going to iron them before composting them! LOL



The garments go into the compost pile to disintegrate.  I can't tell  you how long to leave them there.  The make up of your compost pile and the weather will produce different rates of decomposition and insect activity.  The second picture shows a sweater waiting to come out.



If you pull the garments out too early they will be less changed and less interesting although you might have some nice color on them.



If you wait too long then the garments are only scraps to use to repair another garment.  That is not a bad thing.  The scraps are still being given a new life.  And, continuing the metaphor relating the process to our lives, sometimes it takes a great deal of support from others to get our lives remade.


And sometimes it is just right.  This is right out of the compost pile with lots of detail shots. It will get washed before I use it.   That will add more holes so I'll be washing it on delicate after some pre-soaking.








3 comments:

  1. Love that one too AND the metaphor. Glad you helping me stay together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea and process. There is something eerie about it and fascinating at the same time. I look forward to seeing more of the wip and the finished pieces. I love the thread/floss handwork in Transgender (previous post).

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO interesting ! I'd like to try this myself, but I don't have a compost pile ... any suggestions ?

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.