A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

ch-ch-changes

Sometimes projects just don't turn out as planned.  Over dyeing was on my agenda when I planned out this month of indigo.  My daughter had made a success of it with a woven cotton shirt that had stains on it.  I have no before shots of the shirt with stains but I promise you I cannot find any sign of them after the dip into indigo.

I on the other hand still have a "not for public consumption" t-shirt after a dip in the indigo.    The stains were intensified in the indigo vat.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Not giving up on changing things with a dip in the indigo.  I shibori stitched this scarf - which was in two different MX dye baths and still hadn't made the grade - and pulled it up very tightly.  Put it in the pot and forgot about it. 


Midnight after the workshop, I emailed the teacher that there was a stray item left in the vat and I'd pick it up later.  Connie was kind enough to fish it out, oxidize it and dip it a second time, rinse it and leave it to dry in the Guild House office.  I took one peak ... and ...


I was too excited to wait and unpicked all the shibori stitching immediately !


Wow.  Pleased with this changling.  It's quite a reincarnation.  There is some controversy over whether I should iron it or not.  I lean toward ironing but I'm asking opinions.

8 comments:

  1. Love your changeling, and I would definitely iron it! Great save!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would you not iron it? Okay for an obvious failure then maybe don't iron it before putting it back into the "try again" box. This, however, looks great and should look even better when ironed so that you can really see all the resist wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely ironed it with steam so the pretty colors show. Very happy with it. Some people like to leave the wrinkles of shibori but that's not my preference. Thanks, everyone.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was gifted a piece of Japanese shibori. I ironed one corner of it, over one motif, and immediately regretted it. After you iron, there is no going back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not grab a round stamp and something oily and make more "stains/decorations" on that shirt? It's like Junior High dancing - if you can't make it right, just make it look like it's on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, exactly what I was thinking... planning on a paint session with that shirt. Can't get any worse! And then, of course, I could set it on fire. LOL
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.