A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Variety of Techniques - Week 4

Several years ago I was taking an online art journal class/challenge for a whole month. In that session we learned many techniques to make different looks on paper.

One of the techniques we learned was to create a look of peeling paint. I LOVED the results. And true to our studio motto...."What if we did this on fabric????"

To be quite honest I wasn't expecting much but since I had done some soy wax techniques I had hopes that it would turn out like I saw it in my head.

So here it is....

Peeling Paint Technique

I started with a piece of hand-dyed red fabric (I'm partial to delapidated peeling red barns). On this piece of fabric I used a VERY old house paint brush (I even cut some bits out of it to make it even more irregular) and applied regular everyday valesine in light brush strokes.



The next step is to paint over the whole piece of fabric with another color. Paint right over the vaseline and everything.  I diluted acrylic paint just a bit for this process.


Now on other mediums like paper and wood, etc, you just wipe off the paint with I think a baby wipe if I remember correctly.  Obviously that would not work for fabric. But since I was used to soy wax removal, I was hoping it would accomplish the task of taking off the vaseline resist.
I used packing paper which leaves no print or anything behind. I placed a piece of paper on BOTH sides of the fabric and ironed it. I repeated this process with new paper until the vaseline had been
absorbed into the paper and out of the fabric.



Here is the ironing mid-process.


And here is the completed process with all the vaseline removed. (NOTE: After all is said and done, if there is just a small amount of vaseline residue, you CAN wash it to completely remove it all)


I LOVED how it turned out! Looks just like the side of a very old red barn to me!!

I have another project I want to use this technique on that came to mind. If I get it done before the end of February, I'll post the results!

That's it for me today!
I'll see you next week!!

Kelly L Hendrickson





5 comments:

  1. What a great technique. I love peeling paint too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is something i must try!
    all the stuff needed is here and i love the pealing paint look!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great results! One day Icertainly try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like it! It is really easy. The hardest part is patience while ironing out the vaseline!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.