A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Variety of Techniques - Week 8

And I'm back.....

There had been this idea rattling around in my brain and I wanted to give it a try.  The technique itself is not new. Soy wax resist.  But I wanted to use it in a new way...for me at least. I had this geode looking effect in my head.

I have done soy wax before with stamps and brushing it on but then I just dyed the whole fabric and
it was cool but not as controlled as I've been thinking about.  I have done silk scarves with soy wax resist the same way...mostly with stamps.

Now I wanted to be able to use paint and have more control over where the color went.

I started with a piece of my own hand-dyed cotton. Got out my soy wax and used a tjanting with the larger opening to apply the wax to the fabric in circles of various sizes.



Then I got the paints that I wanted to use. A creamy pale yellow-green and a brighter yellow.
I diluted them a good bit and painted first the pale yellow-green around the wax circle. At first I was making the circle more exact and quickly abandoned that for a more organic look.  When that paint was still wet, I painted the brighter yellow (again well diluted) aroung the wax edges in a thinner line.


Now I am not well known for having a TON of patience so when the paint was still a bit damp, I put the fabric between sheets of clean newsprint paper (the kind used for packing, not the kind with print on it). I ironed the piece between the paper several times until I got the effect I was looking for!!

The next question to test out is how it will respond if I let the paint dry totally. But that is a play day for the future!


I did this test on a small bit of fabric, apx 6" X 8". But I like what I ended up with well enough to plan on doing a larger bit of fabric soon!

Thanks for waiting the extra day! 

This is my last post for this session. Thanks for tuning in and thanks for all your feedback!!

Kelly L Hendrickson

4 comments:

  1. Thank you to both of you. This has been a great two months and I hope you got plenty of orders for your eBook. The price was certainly reasonable and I just loved it. Can't wait to try it myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a fun, informative two months. Have gotten ideas from some of the guesses as well as the posted techniques. Thank you both for sharing your talent and time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you gals did a remarkable job! thanks

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.