A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Book Review – It’s a Wrap II by Susan Breier


Before I found this book back in 2013, my only instruction on how to make coiled fabric bowls came from a lovely tutorial I found by Sherrie Spangler on her blog http://sherriequilt.blogspot.com/ ( search on coiled bowls and you will see several posts on her bowl making process). With photographs and easy-to-follow directions, I began to make bowls, primarily to use up my ever-growing fabric stash.
By chance, visiting a quilt shop a couple of hours from home, I spotted “It’s a Wrap II”, and had to have it.  By now, I was ready to take my bowl-making to a new level, and Susan Breier’s book gave me some valuable tools to do just that.  From how to make different shapes, to ways to finish your project with loops, medallions and other embellishments, this book will take you beyond basic bowl making to learning how to design your own original creations. Beautiful examples will inspire you to go beyond your comfort zone, and each finished project will leave you anxious to start on the next one!
Published in 2010 by Martingale & Company.
Here are a few of the projects I made using Susan’s book as my guide:
Oval Bowl

Covered bowl with knob handle

Basket with knotted handles

Bowl with beaded embellishment

So if you are ready to take the plunge, or maybe have tried bowl-making but want to learn some great techniques to expand your skill set, give “It’s a Wrap II” a gander… happy sewing!



4 comments:

  1. I bought another book you suggested but I still haven't pulled the trigger on making a bowl. What's with that??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have so many things you are always working on, it's a wonder you even have time to consider trying this! It took me awhile before I dove in, but they keep calling me back. I'm working on one now inspired by one of the members of the facebook group, and this one will fulfill a dream... it will have a neck! Stay tuned to my blog... will be posting about it there soon!

      Delete
    2. Inspired by you, I just came back from my barn with the book (Sewing Pottery) in my hand. I am determined to try this, darn it !!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Awesome! Let us know how you like it!

      Delete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.